Review: Predatory Game by Christine Feehan

by 7/06/2012 0 comments
Summary (from www.christinefeehan.com)


Saber Wynter is running from her past when she meets Jess Calhoun, an ex-Navy SEAL who is physically and emotionally compromised by his own mysterious and violent history as a GhostWalker. What Jess senses in Saber is a kindred spirit, a lost soul desperate for sanctuary. He offers her a home, job, and a haven where she can safely reveal the secrets that shadow her. But danger follows her, too. Now, the riddles of both their pasts are about to collide, shattering the promise of their future with the ultimate betrayal.

My Review
Christine Feehan knows how to deliver an action packed story. I really enjoy that about her writing. And her world building is this series blows me away.

I truly enjoyed Jesse's story. It was refreshing after the gritty tales of the Norton twins. I liked that this novel was really about Jesse and Saber falling in love. Feehan's at a point in the series where it's in transition and that can often kill the romance, but not in Predatory Game.  I got everything I've come to expect of this series: fast paced plot, aching romance and the advancement of the overall story arc. Jesse is a great character, not my favourite of the series, but I like him a lot. Dangerous but cool as a still pool of water and with a wicked good sense of humour. Stubborn, but not unyielding. Proud, but never so much that he comes off as a jerk. And I love that he is so much in  love with Saber he'd walk away from the military if she'd asked. As for Saber, I loved that's physically small but can kick some serious butt. Her enhanced ability, to feel someone's biorhythm was also extremely cool. That's the good in this book.

The bad? Not much. I wish a bit more of the story arc had been developed, but I'm so happy the series has returned to its head over heels romance feel that I can't bring myself to really complain about it. The only other thing that kind of stood out and bugged me was the repetition of our heroine: she's not quite willing to believe in her man and their love. All the women in this series are plagued with this irksome flaw I find, to one degree or another. I'd really like Feehan to flip that and make the man the sceptic next time. It was refreshing when Ryland was the believer back in Shadow Game, now it's just "oh boy, here we go again." Don't get me wrong Saber is great, I love how sensitive and caring she is and I appreciate her concerns, especially given all she's been through as a child. I'd just like to see one of the women in this series willing to put it on the line for love without needing the man to profess his love for her over and over and over again.

Favourite quote from the novel:
"It lasted an eternity, forever, it lasted a heartbeat, a moment."

FOUR glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: