Review: Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

by 8/27/2012 2 comments
Hi Everyone!

I'm starting back on romance. For me, August is over. I'm going back in to school shortly to set up for the first day back. So since I've been reading romance for a few days now, I thought I'd start my September romance reviews a little early with a review of an author and series that is absolutely devastating.

Summary

Paperback374 pages
Published February 28th 2006 
by Avon
ISBN 006056251X (ISBN13: 9780060562519)
Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition:marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared,unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts --- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions ... or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

Summary from www.goodreads.com 

Review
Sebastian St. Vincent, I love you. Now, I know I've said this about both Simon and Marcus. But, of all the Wallflowers heroes, Sebastian is the one for me. Hands down, I don't even care that I haven't read Scandal in Spring yet, I know that for me, Sebastian is simply the one.

Now, before I start waxing eloquent about the characters in this book (and they make this book) I ought comment on the novel itself. Lisa Kleypas has yet to disappoint me. The writing is, as always, wonderful. Moving, filled with tender moments, well paced, exciting, a well developed plot and characters you just get because Kleypas pays careful attention to character development, the book leaves you with a le sigh feeling. I love the Wallflowers series, and this book does not disappoint. It exceeds--every expectation I had.

Now, on to the characters. Let's start with Sebastian...because he's Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent and I adore him. Of all the characters in this series, he was the one I most connected him. Sebastian, I understood. Sebastian, I ached for. Sebastian I was comfortable with. Maybe I have a little Sebastian inside of me. Nothing he ever did or said surprised me because I got him that much. Externally indifferent, cynical even, a man who has no attachments and desires none, we learn that Sebastian is really...vulnerable. He would laugh to know that he is a living clique, as one of the wallflowers said, the reformed rake. It's too sweet. It's devastating. I fall in love with a lot of the heroes of the novels I read (let's face it, that's the point isn't it?) but Sebastian is one of those rare characters that will stay with me long after I read the novel. He's charming and difficult and honest to a fault, too blunt and flippant in that honesty really, but he's also at odds with who he is and who he presents to the world, and he knows it. He sees the absurdity of that truth, and knows there's nothing he can do about it. What an insightful, sardonic and wonderful man. I love how real he is. Heck, I wish he was real!!

And Evie--I had no idea she was so ironic. That she had so much spunk. She truly impresses me throughout this novel; I think I have a little of Evie in me too because nothing she said or did surprised me either. She was strong and brave when it mattered most, but she had a depth of emotion inside of her that of course could reach out towards Sebastian and emphasize with him without excusing his behaviour. This couple is perfect for each other. Each is vulnerable yet strong, confused but clear headed, and passionate. So passionate. I loved them together.

And, to make the book even more devastating, besides having a couple that is just the easiest, most perfect fit together, besides being a book that made me laugh out loud, their love story also made me cry. Not a lot, but at just the most perfect moment. I'm a sucker for the beauty of romance, what can I say? I'll let the novel speak for itself instead:

Favourite Quotes: 

1. Because I'm Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent. I can't be celibate. Everyone knows that.

2. Slowly his resistance ebbed. She felt the change in his body, the relaxing of the tension, his shoulders curving around her as if he could draw her into himself. Murmuring her name, he brought her hand to his face and nuzzling ardently into her palm, his lips brushing the warm circlet of her gold wedding band. "My love is upon you," he whispered...and she knew then that she had won.

5 glittering stars and it's going on my favourites shelf. 



Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

2 comments:

Karolina said...

Where have I been? I missed so many great posts! To be honest I haven't read any of her books but so many people recommend it to me that I have to start.

Jewels E said...

You have to read this author. She's wonderful, one of my favs.