Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

by 8/15/2012 3 comments
Hey Everyone,

Just to let you know, I leave Friday for a much anticipated trip to Calgary. I'll be back next Tuesday, and will hopefully be ready to blog another review of my latest great read, though I have no idea what that will be yet. Anyway, the blog will be quiet for a few days but in the mean time I hope everyone keeps reading. In September I think I will return to romance, and I even have an idea of what book I will start with. For now, my review of Shiver.

Summary

From www.maggiestiefvater.com 

Paperback392 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks 
ISBN 0545123275 (ISBN13: 9780545123273)


For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. 

Review

Hauntingly beautiful. Those are the two best words to describe Shiver. I've seen since this book in the bookstore for a few years now, and the cover has always called to me. I'm a sucker for a gorgerous cover, I admit it. I even toyed with the idea of buying it once, but I didn't. But I recently did buy it and I'm so glad I did. 

Shiver is not your typical werewolf/shifter story. Shiver is all romance. Shiver will just make you shiver. It's the writing, I think that does that. The book is descriptive, poetic even and very moving. I can't even begin to pick my favourite quotes from this book because they are just too many, too many times when I just stopped reading for a moment and thought, "wow." And the whole book reads like that, with languid beauty. 

And the story--again, not your typical werewolf/shifter story. There is no battle scene, no crazed werewolves the main characters have to overcome, nothing like that. And honestly, the story doesn't need any of that. It's a story about Sam and Grace, who have been in love for six years, since Sam saved Grace from his pack. And they don't have much time together because Sam is going to shift soon. So they are determined to spend what time they have together really being with one another. It's very bittersweet and as I was reading, there were quite a few times throughout the story when I thought to myself that is one story that can't have a happily ever after. And Sam doesn't think that they will because he knows this time when he shifts, he's not coming back. 

That's really what makes the romance in this YA novel believable. This couple knows all the odds are against them, but make the best of the time they have together and they don't lie to each other about anything. That's what makes me love Sam. To me, this novel reads a lot more like urban fantasy romance than YA. YA is usually a bit more angst-y and filled with couples avoiding their feelings for one another, or just making bad relationship choices. Shiver was filled with honest emotion and sacrifice. 

So the story is utterly devastating. 

Now, I know you're wondering, did they get their happily ever after? And in truth, this book would have been a wonderful stand alone novel. The ending is utterly perfect. It's the way every romance should end. I mean, it's not riding into the sunset on a white horse. It's better. But, I have no idea if Sam and Grace will have their happily ever after at the end of this trilogy. Having not read the next two books, all I can say is, I truly hope so. But, we'll always have Shiver.

Favourite Quotes:

Like, I said, I can't pick. Read this book, and find your own. All I can say is, this is going on my favourites shelves.

5 glittering stars




Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

3 comments:

Karolina said...

Have a great trip to Calgary, hope you have fun!

Lisa Trejo said...

Enjoy your trip :D

Jewels E said...

Thank you ladies! So far, it's been awesome!