Review: The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind by Meg Medina

by 10/08/2012 0 comments
Hey Everyone!

Hope you are having a wonderful day :) I'm reading some great books right now, and naturally I have to share with you. Here is my review of a YA read I finished recently.

Summary
Hardcover, 256 pages
Published March 13th 2012
by Candlewick
ISBN
0763646024 (ISBN13: 9780763646028)
 Sixteen-year-old Sonia Ocampo was born on the night of the worst storm Tres Montes had ever seen. And when the winds mercifully stopped, an unshakable belief in the girl’s protective powers began. All her life, Sonia has been asked to pray for sick mothers or missing sons, as worried parents and friends press silver milagros in her hands. Sonia knows she has no special powers, but how can she disappoint those who look to her for solace?

Still, her conscience is heavy, so when she gets a chance to travel to the city and work in the home of a wealthy woman, she seizes it. At first, Sonia feels freedom in being treated like all the other girls. But when news arrives that her beloved brother has disappeared while looking for work, she learns to her sorrow that she can never truly leave the past or her family behind.

With deeply realized characters, a keen sense of place, a hint of magical realism, and a flush of young romance, Meg Medina tells the tale of a strongwilled, warmhearted girl who dares to face life’s harsh truths as she finds her real power.
Summary from Goodreads.

Review

I totally fell in love with the cover of this book. Something about it just captured my imagination and this blurb made me put it on my to read list. When I finally got my hands on this book, I went into it expecting something entirely different. I was expecting a fantasy read that read like a fable and instead what I got was a simple story of hope.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all for a more reality based tale. And The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind has it's good points. But I was looking for fantasy! It was hard to wrap my head around a tale set in a poor, simple community when I'd been expecting characters with magical abilities or wraiths or astral projecting. Or something fantastical. However, the novel was fairly good and in the end, I did enjoy it.

The writing is well paced and moving. I can't complain about style at all. But I was wondering for about half of the book what the story was about. And then I realized it's just a story about a girl who has so little but whom so much is expected of; a girl from a simple background doing her best in a hard, unfeeling world. I'll admit, I was a tad bored for the first half of the book.

But then, I began to really worry about Rafael. He was the only character I had connected with, a young man who was light hearted and full dreams.  Sonia and Pancho had dreams too, but they were quiet, dreamier sort of dreams. Rafael was the charismatic boy who wanted more. And I was so sad at his ending. It was utterly unjust; just as life is at times.The story of his kidnapping, how it strengthened Sonia, and healed their family truly touched me.

In the end, the novel is a tale of hope, of dreams and of a strong girl who realizes a dream. It's simple, but it's poignant and I do recommend it.

3 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: