Review: Burning Wild by Christine Feehan

by 11/18/2012 0 comments
Hello Everyone!

I apologize for being off line this week, I have been busy working on something exciting for all of you lovely readers! So please, stay tuned. I decided to share with a book I originally reviewed on Goodreads, one by an author I love and from I series I think is devastating. I hope you enjoy the review, and I highly recommend this series.

Summary from Goodreads

Mass Market Paperback, 443 pages
Published April 28th 2009
by Jove (first published January 1st 2009)
ISBN
0515146234 (ISBN13: 9780515146233)
Born into a world of twisted monsters, Jake Bannaconni is shaped and molded into a cold, revenge driven man. Honed in the fires of hell, he controls his world and rules with an iron hand. He has everything and anything money can buy. He’s ruthless, merciless and considered a man to leave alone. His hidden legacy, that of a shapeshifter, makes him doubly dangerous in the corporate world.

Emma Reynolds is a woman who knows how to love and love well. When their two worlds collide, Jake’s plans for a complete take over, may just come tumbling down.






Review

It took me literally all day to read this book. But it was worth the read. The Leopard series is my favourite, and although Feehan took a different approach to this novel than the other three I read, it all came together. I came to this book wanting to love Jake (don't ask why, I'm not sure) but it seemed like every time I started to love him the bastard did some jack ass thing. Like refuse to acknowledge to himself, over and over, that he loved Emma. He seemed to, and then it was back to him thinking he simply needed to protect her and the children, and oh yeah mark her for his own. And I became annoyed with him because I thought, yes, he's finally past it! He admitted it to himself at long last; only to find out that I was mistaken. Being a trusting person, I suppose I underestimated his inability to trust. I think that's why this book needed to be so damn long. Because by the end of it, I realized what Feehan had done was brilliant. She let Jake's character grow and change so gradually that it's not until the end that you finally really notice the change. But fundamentally, though he's learned to love, allowed himself to be that vulnerable with Emma, we as readers finally understand what Emma always did: he's a good man but a difficult one. He needs careful handling. And a large part of him will always be jaded. And damn if I'm not glad he has Emma to love him. How did I get so attached to this character?

Emma. I did like her. She was always in command of everything, never minding what Jake told her to do. I loved that she went her own way, did what she wanted. I love how much she loved the kids. I love how she stubbornly stays with Jake even though he's difficult and so hell bent on being in control. Because she knows that's not who he really is deep down. I have to appreciate her insightful understanding of him, as well as her courage and strength. That scene at the end where she lures Rory away from her children was not only really exciting but so consistent with her character. Was I surprised she then chased down Clayton down to save Kyle? Hell no! Talk about bravery, and what a capacity to love!

In the end, this was a real romance: their characters have a passionate need for each other. Sure, it's wild and out of control, and maybe questionable? But being a romantic at heart, I recognize that passion is all caught up and tangled in love, some might say it's the same as love, and in this book all that passion worked. Everything in this book is consistent, and when looked at rationally, makes sense for these people. Therefore, I personally think its give 5 star worthy.


So....
5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: