Review: Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan

by 2/27/2013 2 comments
Hey Everyone!

I did say I was going to continue with series I had started as part of my reading challenge for this year, so today I have a great YA book to share with you.

Summary from Goodreads 


Hardcover309 pages
Published July 17th 2012
 by St. Martin's Griffin
ISBN 0312621353 (ISBN13: 9780312621353)
Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancĂ©? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her? 

In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end...


Review

I really enjoyed Glow, the first book in this great sci fi series. It's hard for me to get my sci fi these days, so this series is one I'm really excited about. So I finally got my hands on Spark and was super happy to continue the story. I wasn't expecting some of what happened in this book, and once again, Ryan leaves us on a cliffhanger at the end. Normally cliffhangers really upset me. I don't like unresolved stories. Starting a story in medias res is fine, but finishing it like that is not in my books. But this time, the cliffhanger ending didn't upset me because Ryan leaves the story at a breaking point so while I am on tether hooks for the next book, I'm not left with a huge feeling of things being left unresolved.

So what are these star trekkers doing in Spark you ask? Well, being kick ass for one thing. Growing for another.

Waverly: I'm really surprised by this character. She showed a great deal of strength and intelligence in the first book. She was  hero! But I guess since she wasn't in crisis mode, some of that slipped away from her. I found her more insecure in a way, which is understandable since everyone is blaming her for not being able to bring the parents back to the Empyrean, but some of her actions surprised me. However, by the end she seems to back to her strong kick ass self and I'm hoping that she will continue to be a leader.
Kieran: Have I mentioned how much I hate this guy? I hate this guy. I really, really do. He's a horrible leader because he's more concerned with controlling his people than leading them. It's obvious (and understandable) that he's very afraid, and not ready to be a leader, but I can't ignore the fact that he wants to ignore all of the laws that govern this community for his own selfish ends.
Seth: My true hero. Team Seth all the way! Now, what he does at the end of the book is beyond stupid, but it is what a leader does. He's brave and I think he might save the day for everyone.
Anne Mathor: I don't care what she says about not knowing about the stowaways, I don't trust her. She seemed a lot more vulnerable in this book than before, but honestly, I think it's all a manipulation.
Sarek: He's more of a secondary character, but I found him very compelling. Kieran at least had the good sense to chose level headed, honest people to be his most trusted officers. Even exhausted and worried about his father, Sarek remains in control and does what needs to be done.
Arthur: Another secondary character I found compelling. And I'm glad he appears to be questioning Kieran as a leader. I'm hoping he and Waverly will be the leaders of the kids on the New Horizon. 
Tobin: Again, a secondary character I found really compelling. The fact that someone so young should assume the role of doctor without proper training or anything, and self teach himself is awing. His dedication was inspiring. I hope to see more of his character.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed we didn't find out more about Captain Jones. What we do find out is that Anne Mathor seems to at least to have been telling the truth about him being responsible for the people on the New Horizon not being able to have children of their own. But then, considering that Waverly had never liked him, and that Seth seemed to think his father was in on something with the Captain, this isn't surprising. I just suspect there's more going on than has been revealed yet, so I'm curious.

The love triangle wasn't really built on at all, which didn't surprise me. I was hoping we'd have a tad more romance, but while Waverly and Kieran decide that they can never get married (thank God!), nothing much else happens other than Seth deciding that it no longer matters to him that he's not good enough for Wavelry. And telling her. I sense pursuit in the future ;)

Eagerly waiting for the next book!

Favourite Quotes

"You get yourself killed, Seth Ardvale, and I'll never forgive you! You arrogant son of a b*tch!"

Waverly watched them leave, then turned to Seth, who stared at her wide eyed, as if he'd never seen her before...Later, that night, when she couldn't sleep, she understood what she felt was deep, irrevocable shame. Seth had seen the whole thing.

"This whole antisocial thing you got going? It gets old."
"You seem to like it well enough."

She stared at him, open mouthed, speechless for once. So he kissed her.

4 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Okay, so you've intrigued me with this series. I'd seen it around, but wasn't sure it was for me. Good job! I just added to goodreads. :D

Jewels E said...

Just remember to read them in order or they won't make sense! And like I said, it's more action and mystery than romance. Enjoy!