Review: The Warrior by Margaret Mallory

by 3/19/2013 0 comments
Hello lovely readers and followers,

I have been on a reading binge lately, and so the blog's been a bit quieter than usual, but today I'm back with a review. Enjoy!

Summary from Goodreads

Mass Market Paperback355 pages
Published October 30th 2012 
by Forever
ISBN 044658309X (ISBN13: 9780446583091)
From the Isle of Skye to the battlefields of France, Duncan MacDonald has never escaped the memory of the true love he left behind. Deemed unworthy of a chieftain's daughter, Duncan abandoned the lovely Moira to prove his worth in battle. Now, when called upon to rescue her from a rival clan, one thing is certain: Moira's pull on his heart is stronger than ever.

Bartered away in marriage to a violent man, Moira will do anything to ensure she and her son survive. When a rugged warrior arrives to save her, the desperate beauty thinks her prayers have been answered—until she realizes it's Duncan. The man who once broke her heart is now her only hope. Moira vows never again to give herself—or reveal her secrets—to the fierce warrior, but as they race across the sea, danger and desire draw them ever closer.



Review

I really like Margaret Mallory's Return of the Highlander series. I was looking forward to Duncan's story and I was not disappointed. From the previous two books, we know that Duncan had loved and lost that love earlier in his life. While the woman in question, is still alive, Duncan doesn't have any hope of winning her back because Moira is married.

We lean a lot about Duncan in this novel. For instance, we already knew about his past history with Moira to some degree, and we knew that he was a great warrior. Big, brawny, the most skillful of Conner's men, Duncan always had this air of mystery about him because he was the strong and silent type. It's been pretty clear that he's been broken hearted for a long time. But in this book, we learn a lot about Duncan that I was expecting. I expected that there would be some misunderstanding between him and Moira, but I hadn't expected it to be so...personal on Duncan's part. While Moria's father is the reason why Duncan and Moira didn't have their HEA when they were younger, what's really kept Duncan away from Moira is that fact that he himself doesn't believe he's good enough for her because he has no idea who he his father was, and I wasn't expecting him to feel the need to prove himself worthy of Moira. I was delighted to find out how sweet and passionate he is, and I admire his unflinchingly loyalty. There's something really romantic about how steadfast his love for Moira is, so I really enjoyed Duncan.

Moira, on the other hand...well, she's feisty and she knows her own mind and I admire that. I appreciate she felt abandoned by Duncan and even betrayed. I know she has a hard time trusting Duncan not only because of what Sean has done to her, but because she feels unsure that Duncan didn't leave her of his own accord. I get it, it's just she made me mad how stubbornly she held on to the idea that Duncan didn't think she could care take of herself. I also thought she was rather hard on Duncan. The poor man must have told her a hundred times he loved her, and yet there was always some niggling reason she couldn't bring herself to really trust in that love. It got irksome after a while I thought.

The plot is full of twists and we're beginning to see the beginning of the end being played out. I'm anticipating in that in the next novel, Conner will have defeated all the MacDonald enemies and claimed back all of their lands. He'll establish himself as the undisputed chieftain, and I'm sure we'll get to see Hugh defeated. I'm rather looking forward to it. This series has a good dosing of action and I love that about it, because everyone gets involved--from the warriors to small children. I loved the way each of these highlanders love stories have played out so far, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the next novel, The Chieftain, will be the best yet.

4 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: