Review: Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

by 10/21/2013 0 comments
Paperback356 pages
Published by Scholastic 
(first published October 8th 2008)


Sixteen-year-old Dee is a cloverhand - someone who can see faeries. When she finds herself irresistibly drawn to beautiful, mysterious Luke, Dee senses that he wants something more dangerous than a summer romance.

But Dee doesn't realize that Luke is an assassin from the faerie world.

And she is his next target.






My Thoughts

Well, Maggie Stiefvater has both my respect and my envy as a reader. Respect because wow, can she write. Her writing is beautiful, and I mean beautiful. It's lyrical it's so lovely to read. Every word is carefully crafted, gorgeously chosen and just draws you in. And envy because damn, I wish I could write like that. I want to write exactly like she does one day. I cannot even begin to describe what pure pleasure reading writing like this is. It's like chocolate that melts in your mouth followed by a rich, red wine. It's soul shuddering. 

Luke: Every girl needs a hero like this. He's from the legends of old, willing to die for the one he loves. And for all his sins, Luke is good and pure. His fate seems a twisted, sad thing, a hopeless thing, but Dee saves Luke. And I cannot get over how he'll take as much time as he can with Dee knowing full well what the Faerie Queen can do to him. It gives you that le sigh feeling. It makes you ache because Luke aches with the irony and longing of his long, wretched existence. 

Dee: I love her character. She's so strong. She starts out as almost an insignificant blip of a person, but she takes back her own life with both hands--maybe simply because Luke thinks she is fascinating. I loved how she came to own herself and learned to stand up to her family, learned to take all her passionate emotions and use them to help Luke and James. She was so brave and smart. It's no wonder to me that Luke found her fascinating. 

I loved the role that music played in this novel, drawing the story forward, weaving layers together. Every detail, every word in this story served a purpose and that's great story telling. I'm shell shocked for James, wondering what is in store for such an intelligent, sensitive sort of character. Wondering what kind of future Dee and Luke might have now that Luke has his soul back. I just absolutely want more of this faerie filled world of Stiefvater's. It'll whisk you away and capture your imagination, and I highly recommend this novel.

5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: