Review: Enchanted by Althea Kontis

by 1/15/2014 0 comments
Hardcover308 pages
Published May 8th 2012 
by Harcourt Children's Books

It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?


My Thoughts

I definitely needed a mixer up in my reading life. I love romance but I soo needed a change. And YA is always the perfect change I find. This story sounded like the fairy tales I'd read and been enchanted by as a child (if you'll pardon the pun) and I found myself just as mesmerized by this tale as my eight year old self was by fairy tales like The Frog Prince and Cinderella. 

This is fairy tale, and it's beautifully crafted and interweaves all the fairy stories you heard as a child. The wonderful thing about it is how originally this is done, and with just enough magic to make you feel like you're a child again. But, the amazing thing about it is that this story is totally original and is not just a spoof of a fairy tale, but a story within its own right. 

Personally, I loved the characters. Both Sunday and Rumbold were vulnerable, yet possessed an inner strength that I found admirable. Both were facing situations outside of their control. Both characters struck me as ones that others took for granted for some reason, especially Sunday. She was blithe and good and gay, but she also was wise and strong and intelligent. I was intrigued both by their story and the stories woven around them of Sunday's siblings, most notably her sisters. I am interested to see what the future holds for the Woodcutter sisters, and to find out more about the fey and haefairies in general. 

5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: