Review: A Rogue in Texas by Lorraine Heath

by 2/01/2014 0 comments
Mass Market Paperback358 pages
Published April 6th 1999 
by Avon (first published 1999)

A duke's son, Grayson Rhodes was a maverick who had left London's suffocating upper class world to earn his own fortune. So he seized the chance to work Abbie Westland's land...and from the moment he first saw Abbie, he was determined to use his arms to work the farm by day and to soothe her through the nights in his strong embrace.

Abbie, with her fiery determination, was different from the fragile beauties he'd known at home. In her, Grayson found an honest passion he'd never experienced before. But could their growing love survive the surprising reminder of her past that came to haunt them?



My Thoughts

This was one rather refreshing read. To take your English noblemen and displace their charming, rakeish butts in Texas was a rather brilliant ideas and I loved reading this novel. Both the herione and hero are not your typical heroine or hero, and I loved that about both of them. Abigail is a widow with three children, and fields of cotton to pick. She's insecure and yet strong, and she's never been loved but has a lot of love to give. A contradiction in many respects, but freshly presented. I liked that she had a history, children, responsibilities. That all she wanted now that her husband was dead was to care for her children and live life as an independent woman. 

Grayson was a hero I really enjoyed reading. He was vulnerable because of the circumstances of his birth, and yet in many ways, he was the traditional rake you find in historical romances set in England. Charming, cool, intelligent, with a wicked wit and silver tongue. But he had never been loved before because even though he was the first born son of a nobleman, he was born on the wrong side of the sheets. And that made him very much in need of love. 

The romance is one that builds slowly, over time and is just delicious. I loved how they fell in love, the every day small things that brought them closer and closer together. And the plot twist certainly threw me for a loop! I wasn't too worried about my HEA at first, but I got worried real quick as I didn't see how Grayson could overcome the obstacle that stood between him and Abby.  And I admired them both for doing the right thing in the circumstances they were in, though Lord knows, I was perfectly happy when Grayson thought  up the idea of a duel. 

The hurricane was yet another unexpected plot twist that allowed circumstances to change so that Gray and Abby could have their HEA. I have to admit though, the reasoning as to why Westland went out in the middle of the hurricane struck me as a little far fetched...but I suppose it fit his character so I'm willing to simply le sigh and move on with the series--which does seem quite a promising one. 

4 glittering stars 

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: