Review: Sins and Needles by Karina Halle

by 5/15/2014 0 comments
Paperback438 pages
Published January 25th 2013 
by Metal Blonde Books
Series: The Artists Trilogy, #1
My Rating:      
Genre: Contempoary Romance

Ellie Watt is used to starting over. The daughter of a grifting team, Ellie spent her childhood being used as a pawn in her parents' latest scam. Now she’s much older, wiser and ready to give her con artist life a rest. But returning to the dry desert town of Palm Valley, California means one more temptation than she bargained for – Camden McQueen. Once known as the high school weirdo, Camden is bigger and badder than the boy he used to be and a talented tattoo artist with his own thriving business. Ellie’s counting on Camden still being in love with her but what she’s not counting on is how easily unrequited love can turn into obsession over time. When Camden discovers Ellie’s plan to con him, he makes her a deal she doesn’t dare refuse, but her freedom comes with a price and it’s one that takes both Ellie and Camden down a dangerous road.


***The Artists Trilogy is a dark and sexy contemporary ride about three flawed individuals caught in a world where it's so easy to justify the bad things we do. This is a pure adult read (Not YA or NA).

This is the 1st book in the trilogy. It is followed by the novella On Every Street (released in March 2013) and the sequel Shooting Scars (released in May 2013). The third and final book in the series will also be released October 15, 2013.***




It is really difficult to know where to begin with this novel. I loved it. I hated it. I went through a series of heart pounding emotion as I read it; joy, hope, anger, betrayal, anguish, disgust, fear, anticipation and even sorrow. It might be stating the obvious to say that this novel had me dreading every word I was reading and yet wanting to read more. It wasn't a total train wreck. It just made me a total wreck. 

The book opens with Ellie wanting to start a new life, to go legit. And then immediately, she marks Camden as her next con job. It made me furious with her.
Book 0.5
Best read after Book 1
 Camden seemed nice and even though their history was heavy, I thought that he was someone Ellie could start over with, build a life that wasn't based on lies and deception, that wasn't lived on the run. She and Camden do start a life together, but it was not what I expected and certainly, not what I wanted for them. Though, for them, it's perhaps all they can have. It's hard to say.

The plot becomes ever more twisted up after Camden discovers Ellie busting into his house. The Camden who seemed so laid back and maybe a little broody, like artists usually are, became violate and nasty. I was so disappointed in him. Ellie might have been betraying him, but I felt betrayed by him. Yet, I learned to forgive both of these messed up characters. The flashbacks helped me learn about Ellie. And the more Camden and Ellie run together, the more the plot twists as Javier gets ever closer to them, the more I learned about Camden, who is intelligent and broken and brutally honest, not to mention oh, so perceptive. And very dangerous in some ways.

So I was a mess reading this book. I wanted so much for these characters. I wanted a fresh start for them. I wanted them to be free from the danger and the hurt and wanted them to know a little simplicity and peace. I hope that they get that, somewhere in the future. This book will make you feel and keep you on the edge of your seat. It was hard for me to read but I loved it. If you enjoy a gritty plot and a romance that is alive and both angry and loving, then you have found the perfect book to read. 


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: