Review: Flowers in the Attic by V.C Andrews

by 8/06/2015 0 comments
I read this in only a day or a two. It was one of those books that I simply could not put down. I rememeber when I was younger, I always wanted to read V.C Andrews, but I was too chicken to pick up one of her books. The covers suggested to me that something sinister lurked within, something that would break hearts. I'm glad now that I didn't read any of her books back then because I know now the author passed away, and that nothing written after 1986 is by the author herself, but by a ghost writer that was hired by her estate.



Series: Dollanganger, #1 
My Rating:
Genre: Contemporary Fiction


I read this in only a day or a two. It was one of those books that I simply could not put down. I rememeber when I was younger, I always wanted to read V.C Andrews, but I was too chicken to pick up one of her books. The covers suggested to me that something sinister lurked within, something that would break hearts. I'm glad now that I didn't read any of her books back then because I know now the author passed away, and that nothing written after 1986 is by the author herself, but by a ghost writer that was hired by her estate. 

It's hard to describe this novel. I've seen people call it terrible, and I've seen it highly praised. This is one novel you are sure not to easily forget. I felt compelled to continue reading it even though one plot point kept driving me insane: why didn't the children simply escape from the attic and go to the police? I couldn't understand why they continued to live there, locked up, when they so strongly doubted the word of their mother. In fact, in the end, the children do exactly that, escape. However, some of the events that led up to that were heartrending and harrowing. 
Book 2 in the series

 Cathy, Chris, Cory and Carrie were children who had everything. And then, in an instant it was snatched away. And everything they had lost was promised to be theirs again and more, if only they would be patient and stay up in the attic until their mother said they might come down and meet their grandfather. Only that day stretched from one to two, from two days into weeks, and months and years. It was chilling to think of these children locked up for so long, with little to do and no one to see. It was horrible to see them grow, and yet not grow right because of their imprisonment. And when the truth was finally outed, I was chilled right to the marrow of my bones. By then, tragedy had already struck and that made me both angry and sad. 

I dreaded the novel while reading it at times, and yet I couldn't tear myself away. I had to know the story of these four children. I had to know the reasons why, I needed to see what end they met, and when the end came I was glad and sad and worried. I need to know what happens to them now that they out in there, in the sunshine and world they so longed for. This is the type of story I'm betting the author was compelled to tell, and now that I've started the tale, I simply have to know all of it. Luckily for me I have the next two books in this series. 

Books that stay with you like this are wonderful. It's as simple as that. I loved this book because it was devastating. It was devastating in ways that hurt, but it still was a wonderful, horrible story. 


Happy Reading 
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: