Review: Hanover House by Brenda Novak

by 11/24/2015 0 comments
I have often shied away from romantic suspense because I hear that some of the plot lines are a tad grisly. I don't necessarily mind that, but sometimes I feel that it detracts from the romance, so I tend to stick to other genres, but I have been lately been feeling the need to branch into this genre more, so I decided to pick up Hanover House by Brenda Novak.

Series: Hanover House Chronicles, #0.5
My Rating: 
Genre: Romantic Suspense

I think I will start off by saying how creepy this book is in spots. It's a quick read, less than 200 pages long, but a lot is packed in and I didn't feel in any way as though the story suffered for it. Evelyn has been the victim of a brutal assault and survived, and made it her life's work to discover what makes a psychopath a psychopath. Considering what she's been through, I admire her tenacity and courage and think that she will prove a fascinating character in the series.

I'm also intrigued by the budding romance between her and Amarok, the Alaskan state trooper as their romance was both sweet and sensual. I applaud Amarok for not only being a man who respects women, but one who is willing to be patient with Evelyn and show her she has survived for more than to simply study psychopaths like Japser. I see their romance developing into something deep and meaningful, and I like his calm, moral and caring character.

The characters were all well developed, and the plot centered mostly on Evelyn's establishment of Hanover House, and on Jasper, the young man who assaulted her back in high school and who has been waiting twenty years to finish her off. I mean that quite literally. His character is amoral, is fixated on killing Evelyn and excited by the idea of torturing and killing women who look like her. He is smart and calculating and utterly depraved. He seriously gave me the creeps. I have no idea how big a part he will play in the series, but I know he'll be back.

How Brenda Novak developed such a tightly woven plot and well developed characters is beyond me because it's action packed and kept me turning the pages even when my heart was pounding. I cannot wait to see more of this series.

Happy Reading
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: